As a freelancer, you’ve likely found that keeping yourself busy isn’t that difficult, but keeping yourself productive is another story. From time drains and stress to poor concentration and loss of focus, anyone even considering going the freelance route should take some time to learn about the seven habits and tools of effective freelancing. Integrating some of these productivity tips and tools can help keep even the most easily distracted freelancer on track.
1. Carving Out Your Space: Freelancers work from home and those who fail to find a space they can dedicate to work often have a more difficult time keeping on track. Spend some time carving out some work space that is your office in your home.
2. Creating Better Storage: The Internet has made freelancing a much easier proposition for people. Instead of relying on the Internet solely for communications, utilize tools like Google Docs to create an online depository for documents you need to share.
3. Easy Apps for Easy Days: Take the time to look around at the various apps available and see which one’s will work for you. For example, EchoSign is a great little app that will make it easy for you to create documents, like contracts, that your clients can sign. Use apps to make your day easier.
4. It’s All About The Plan: In order to be successful you have to have a plan each day. Spend a few minutes each week planning the events for the upcoming week and break it down into manageable chunks – do the same each day and you will soon find it easier to get everything finished. Consider using an online calendar (Google Apps has a great one that can be shared also) if that works well for you, but don’t be afraid to use the old tried and true pen and paper to make your plan.
5. Don’t Forget The Goal: You started working as a freelancer for a reason – never forget that reason. Whether you are replacing lost income or working towards building a full time business, always focus on that goal. Keeping it at the forefront will help you stay on track.
6. Finding Balance: Many freelancers fall into the trap of working as much as possible, every day. It may seem logical, but in reality, if you do not have a balance between your work and your personal life, you will crash and burn. Part of your daily plan should include a clear start time and a clear end time.
Engaging in freelance work can be profitable and an engaging way to work. It presents new challenges each and every day. By taking the time to learn the tips and tricks used by successful freelancers and implementing them into your work schedule, you may soon find that freelancing can be just challenging enough.
Are you doing everything you can to be successful at freelancing? Which of these tips and tricks will you implement into your daily work plan?