Continuous innovations today have made it possible to use a computer’s GPU to mine cryptocurrencies. Electronic transactions located on a blockchain are verified by solving complex arithmetic problems during the GPU mining process. Currently, the market contains various graphic cards that can be used in performing crypto mining; hence, the preferable ones are those used for gaming purposes.
Top Rated Graphics Cards for Mining of May 2023
Rating is 5 out of 5
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 Graphics Card , 1x HDMI, 3X DisplayPort, Multi Monitor Support, PCI Express 3.0 x 16, 448 GB/s Total Memory Bandwidth, Boost up to 1905 MHz - OEM Version
- GPU Specs | Compute Units: 40, Game Frequency: Up to 1755 MHz, Peak Half Precision Compute Performance: 19.51 TFLOPs, Stream Processors: 2560, Boost Frequency: Up to 1905 MHz
- GPU Memory | Memory Speed: 14 Gbps, Memory Interface: 256-bit, Max Memory Size: 8 GB, Memory Bandwidth: Up to 448 GB/s, Memory Type: GDDR6
- Supported Rendering Format | 4K H264 Decode, H265/HEVC Encode, 4K H264 Encode, H265/HEVC Decode
- Connectivity | 3x DisplayPort 1.4 with DSC, 1x HDMI 4K60 Support, Multi Monitor Support, 4K Support, TEKi HDMI Cable Included (3 Foot)
- Features | AMD Radeon Media Engine, AMD Radeon VR Ready Premium, TrueAudio Next, AMD RDNA Architecture, AMD FreeSync Technology, The Vulkan API,
Rating is 4.9 out of 5
XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 1405MHz OC+, 8gb 256bit GDDR5, DX12 VR Ready, Double Dissipation, Dual BIOS, 3xDP HDMI DVI, PCI-E AMD Graphics Card (RX-580P828D6)
- Chipset: AMD RX 580
- Memory: 8GB DDR5 Memory
- Factory Overclocked: 1405Mhz
- XFX double dissipation cooling technology
- Form Factor: Plug-in Card
Rating is 4.8 out of 5
ASRock Phantom Gaming D Radeon RX 5700 XT Triple-Fan Video Graphics Card 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 x 16 2560 Stream Processors Polychrome SYNC 8K Support HDCP Ready w/ Mazepoloy VER 009S PCIE Riser
- 2560 Stream Processors,AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT Graphics, 8GB 256-bit GDDR6, PCI Express 4.0 x16, Core Clock 1690 MHz, Boost Clock 1945 MHz, Game Clock 1835 MHz, HDCP Ready
- Polychrome SYNC to Create your own unique colorful light effects with the integrated ARGB LEDs, AMD Eyefinity technology expands the traditional limits of desktop computing by multiplying your screen area
- Triple Fan Design helps to optimize system cooling to reduce the operating temperature. 0dB Silent Cooling Spin For Cooling, Stop For Silence.The fan spins when the temperature goes high for the optimal cooling, and stops when the temperature goes low for the complete silence
- 2.7-slot Design Provides more area for the larger heat-sink to enhance the thermal capability to make the graphics card cooler and quieter. Stylish Metal Backplate With the Phantom Gaming look, the stylish metal backplate on the Phantom Gaming graphics cards makes it more fancy in visual and solid in construction. Otherwise, the thermal pad at the backside also helps to enhance the thermal efficiency, 1 x HDMI 2.0b, 3 x DisplayPort 1.4, DirectX 12, OpenGL 4.6
Rating is 4.7 out of 5
ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Dual-Fan OC Edition VR Ready Dual HDMI DP 1.4 Gaming Graphics Card (DUAL-GTX1060-O6G)
- 1809 MHz boost Clock (OC mode) with 6GB GDDR5;NVIDIA ANSEL for a revolutionary new way to capture in-game screenshots
- Dual-fan cooling provides double airflow for 3x quieter gameplay
- Vr ready with dual HDMI 2.0 ports to simultaneously connect headset & monitor
- GPU TWEAK II makes monitoring performance and streaming easier than ever, featuring game booster and XSplit Gamecaster, all via an intuitive interface.Auto-extreme technology delivers premium quality and reliability with aerospace-grade super alloy power II components to run 15% faster and last 2.5 longer than reference
- Graphics Engine:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
Rating is 4.6 out of 5
MSI GAMING GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDRR5 192-bit HDCP Support DirectX 12 Dual TORX 2.0 Fan VR Ready Graphics Card (GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G)
- Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
- Video Memory: 6GB GDDR5
- Max; Resolution: 7680 x 4320, support 4x Display monitors
- Input: 1x 8Pin PCI E power connector, output: DVI D Dual Link, HDMI, 3x DisplayPort's
- 400W system power supply requirement; 120W power consumption; Please Note: Kindly refer the User Manual and User Guide before use.
- Form Factor: ATX.Cores: 1280 Units
Rating is 4.5 out of 5
ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Advanced Overclocked 8G GDDR6 HDMI DisplayPort USB Type-C Gaming Graphics Card (ROG-STRIX-RTX-2070S-A8G-GAMING)
- Powered by NVIDIA Turing with 1830 MHz Boost Clock (OC Mode), 2560 CUDA Cores and overclocked 8GB GDDR6 memory
- Supports up to 4 Monitors with 2x Display Port 1. 4, 2x HDMI 2. 0 and a VR headset via USB Type C ports. Digital Max Resolution:7680x4320
- Auto Extreme and Max Contact Technology deliver premium quality and reliability with aerospace grade Super Alloy Power II components while maximizing heat sink contact
- ASUS Aura Sync RGB lighting features a nearly endless spectrum of colors with the ability to synchronize effects across an ever expanding ecosystem of Aura Sync enabled products
- GPU Tweak II makes monitoring performance and streaming in real time easier than ever, and includes additional software like Game Booster, XSplit Gamecaster, WTFast and QuantumCloud
Rating is 4.4 out of 5
Gigabyte GV-N207SGAMING OC-8GD GeForce RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC 8G Graphics Card, 3X Windforce Fans, 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6, Video Card
- Powered by GeForce RTX 2070 super
- NVidia turing architecture & real time ray tracing
- Wind force 3x cooling system with alternate spinning fans
- Intuitive controls with AORUS engine
- Core clock 1815 MHertz
- 8GB 256 Bit GDDR6
- 1 x HDMI, 3 x DisplayPort
- PCI Express 3.0 x16
Rating is 4.3 out of 5
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra Hydro Copper Gaming, 8GB GDDR6, RGB LED, iCX2 Technology, Metal Backplate, 08G-P4-2289-KR
- Real boost clock: 1860 MHz; Memory detail: 8192MB GDDR6
- Adjustable RGB LED offers configuration options for all your PC lighting needs
- Full cover waterblock cools GPU for lowest possible temperatures and highest clocks
- Built for EVGA precision X1 - EVGA's all-new tuning utility monitors your graphics card and gives you the power to overclock like a pro
Rating is 4.2 out of 5
ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI ROG Strix 11GB GDDR6 Graphics Card
Rating is 4.1 out of 5
ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI ROG Strix 11GB GDDR6 Graphics Card
Rating is 4 out of 5
MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio Graphics Card
- Clock speed: 1755MHz
- PCI Express x16 3.0 Interface
- Memory: 11GB, GDDR6
- Ports: 1 x HDMI, 3 x DisplayPorts, 1 x USB Type-C
- Chipset: NVIDIA
Rating is 3.9 out of 5
XFX Speedster QICK319 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT Black Gaming Graphics Card with 12GB GDDR6 HDMI 3xDP, AMD RDNA 2 RX-67XTYPBDP
- Chipset: AMD RX 6700 XT
- Memory: 12GB GDDR6 AMD RDNA 2 architecture elevates and unifies the gaming
- Boost Clock: Up To 2622MHz
- Cooling: XFX Speedster QICK319 Triple Fan
Rating is 3.8 out of 5
Sapphire 11305-02-20G Pulse AMD Radeon RX 6800 PCIe 4.0 Gaming Graphics Card with 16GB GDDR6
- Game Clock: Up to 1950 MHz
- Boost Clock: Up to 2170 MHz
- Radeon VR Ready Premium
- Video Streaming up to 8K
Rating is 3.7 out of 5
ASUS ROG Strix AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT TOP Edition Gaming Graphics Card (PCIe 4.0, 6GB GDDR6 Memory, HDMI, DisplayPort, 1080p Gaming, Axial-tech Fan Design, Auto-Extreme, Metal Backplate)
- TOP Edition: Boost Clock up to 1770 MHz (OC Mode)/ up to 1750 MHz (Gaming Mode)
- Axial-tech fan design features a smaller fan hub that facilitates longer blades and a barrier ring that increases downward air pressure.
- 0dB Technology lets you enjoy light gaming in relative silence.
- MaxContact Technology allows 2X more contact with the GPU chip for improved thermal transfer.
- A reinforced frame prevents excessive torsion and lateral bending of the PCB.
Why are Graphics Cards Used for Mining?
The introduction of faster innovations for both hardware and software has made CPU mining to become relatively insignificant over recent years. CPU was mainly used by miners to mine cryptocurrencies on their computers a few years back before the introduction of GPU mining which seems to be more efficient and faster to mine complex coins like Ehthereum.
Graphic Cards are built for the sole purpose of displaying graphics; hence their abilities get restricted extremely. Their architecture, therefore, makes them effectively intricate during the process of graphic utilization despite the various ways in which the hardware is employed. Graphic cards can therefore be considered to be more efficient when it comes to solving the required complex algorithms that need to be used in mining cryptocurrency, just like how they function when displaying games on a computer screen.
You can also expect the computational duties carried out during the mining process to be more straightforward while using a graphics card because it can handle heaps of them simultaneously. This is what contributes to graphic cards being the most suited when it comes to crypto mining processes.
Do You Need a Good GPU to Mine Bitcoin?
It's always suitable to consider various factors before settling for a GPU used in cryptocurrency mining. GPU innovations keep changing within time, but if you need a good graphic card, then you will have to consider the following things:
- Hashrate - it’s vital to consider this as the first thing before getting a graphic card since it involves the mining speed of the GPU.
- Power Consumption- it's necessary to acquire a GP that consumes less power so that you don't end up using more electricity and spending much on paying it while earning less.
- Pricing- Lastly, get something that's priced reasonably because it will also heighten your chances of acquiring an RIO when its pricing is affordable.
Is GPU Mining Profitable?
Avoid expecting any definitive answer when it comes to the profitability of GPU mining. Like any other set of investments related to making money using cryptocurrency, GPU comes with its risks package. However, despite knowing this information, the whole idea about GPU mining involves making profits, but you shouldn’t expect profitability all the time. Why is that? As a miner, you can never predict the financial outcome of the process because various factors dynamically cause unexpected changes.
- Electricity costs widely vary in different countries.
- Cryptocurrency pricing variations that you have mined. The prices significantly vary each month. Also, when purchasing mining hardware, the cost can directly affect the RIO.
On a lighter note, before moving forward to executing your plans of making a hardware investment, you can first research what you want to mine via mining calculators. It will help you to determine which will help you understand what GPU to use and the profits which you can earn in a single day using your hardware and electric rate. It's not precisely accurate, but it offers guidance on what to expect in your mining journey.
Additionally, GPU also allows overclocking; hence this means an increase in the performance of the hardware during mining, thus an increase in profits. If you need to achieve this, you need to access the computer BIOS and adjust the clock's settings to calculate more processes in a second. When you apply to the GPU a modest overclock, there will be an increase in the number of coins you will mine a single day while using less electricity through an adjusted lower voltage.
Can a GPU Run 24/7?
Knowing already that a GPU is an equipment piece that's much harder than that of the CPU means that it can operate 24/7. However, you need to check on a couple of things to maintain its performance. You need to check on the cooling system and also replace the fans after a few years to avoid the piece's degradation.
In an instance of mining Bitcoin, you will be required to run the GPU 24/7. However, you must have a GPU with an excellent cooling system to prevent the equipment from completely melting because they produce nitrogen and water.
Lastly, you need to ensure that GPU is dust-free and its temperatures remain reasonable. Also, when setting up an overclock during the GPU mining process, you should avoid environments that have high temperatures since it might cause damage to the card.
Many GPU miners usually don't know what cryptocurrency to mine; hence those most affected are the beginner miners. As mentioned earlier, it's necessary to make a decision first before engaging in a GPU mining process. Crypto mining using a GPU is indeed one of the favorite ways of gaining various opportunities to make profits, so it's never too late to start. Ensure that you also do more research on running the GPU in a cooler manner if you don't know everything about the crypto-mining process.